2022 Fall Semester Plan for Chesney Archives
Creator: Covi, Lino (1926-2014) Collection Date: 1960-2014 Extent: 4.8 cubic feet (4 boxes)
Lino Covi was born in Trento, Italy in 1926. He attended the University of Florence for philosophy from 1945-1947. From 1947-1955, Covi attended multiple institutions to obtain his MD, also taking time to get a diploma in social work. His dissertation and sixth and final year in medical school took place at University of Rome, Italy. After receiving his degree, Covi interned at University of Rome in the neuropsychiatric clinic until 1956. In 1956, Covi went to the Albert Einstein Medical Center Southern Division in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to do a rotating internship in medicine, surgery, OB-GYN, pediatrics and minor specialties. From 1957-1960, Covi had a joint appointment at Johns Hopkins Hospital and University in the department of psychiatry as an assistant resident and fellow. Covi served as an assistant psychiatrist at Johns Hopkins Hospital from 1960 until 1965, when he got promoted to psychiatrist, a post he held until 1986. Also beginning in 1960, he became an instructor in Psychiatry at Johns Hopkins University. Covi was promoted to assistant professor of Psychiatry in 1967 and associate professor of Psychiatry in 1973. Throughout this time, Covi continued to work at area hospitals both as a professional and a teacher. Covi’s research focused on depression, anxiety and tension, and the effects of certain prescription drugs on these disorders.
The Lino Covi Collection covers his career at Johns Hopkins, both the Hospital and the University. The collection contains materials by and about Covi, the Henry Phipps Psychiatric Clinic and the State of Maryland Department of Psychiatry. Other materials include CVs, manuscripts, reports, newspaper and magazine clippings, notes, correspondence and some papers about his work with the National Institute on Drug Abuse and Addiction Research Center in Baltimore. Within the collection is a video tape (VHS) that presents a study manual for the treatment of cocaine abusers, developed partially using Covi’s research. There are also several photographs, including departmental photos from the Henry Phipps Psychiatric Clinic (from 1956-1960), group photos from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, and portraits and photos from the 126th (1973) and 130th (1977) American Psychiatric Association Annual Meetings.
Policy on Access and UsePermissions and Credits
Make a Gift