Fall 2021 Re-opening Plan for Chesney Archives
Home / Collections / Howard W. Jones, Jr., and Georgeanna Seegar Jones Collection
Howard W. and Georgeanna Seegar Jones
by Henry Cooper
Creator: Jones, Howard Wilber (1910 - )
Jones, Georgeanna Seegar (1912 - 2005) Collection Date: 1935 - 1979 Extent: 4.8 cubic feet
Biography: Howard W. Jones, Jr.
Howard W. Jones, Jr., was born in Baltimore. He received his A.B in 1931 from Amherst College and his M.D. in 1935 from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Georgeanna Seegar Jones received her M.D. in 1936 from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. In 1948, Howard Jones and his wife Georgeanna became part-time faculty in the department of gynecology and obstetrics in the school of medicine. In 1960, Howard and Georgeanna Jones left their private practice to become full-time faculty members at Johns Hopkins, in order to devote themselves more fully to research in gynecology and obstetrics. Howard Jones established the crytogenetics laboratory at Johns Hopkins when the field was in its infancy. The Joneses retired from Johns Hopkins in 1978 and were appointed professors of obstetrics and gynecology at Eastern Virginia Medical School, where they established the first in vitro fertilization program in the United States. Biography: Georgeanna Seegar Jones
Georgeanna S. Jones (nee Seegar) was born in Baltimore, Maryland. Her father was J. King B.E. Seegar, an obstetrician. She earned an A.B. from Goucher College in 1932 and a M.D. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1936. After completing her residency in Johns Hopkins Hospital’s gyneocology department, Jones became a National Cancer Institute trainee in 1937, finishing her post graduate training in endocrinology laboratory research in the department of surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. In 1939, she was appointed as an assistant professor, gynecology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and also as the first woman gyneocolgy-in-charge of the Gynecological Endocrine Clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital, a position she held until her retirement in 1978. Her decades of research included identification of the pregnancy hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin, as a product of the placenta, as well as the identification of the disorder luteal phase defect. Jones married Howard W. Jones,Jr., in 1940, and collaborated with him in research and in clinical practice for the remainder of her active medical career. While at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Jones acheived the rank of professor, gynecology and obstetrics in 1972 and was named professor emeritus in 1978. That same year, she and her husband moved to Norfolk,Virginia to work with Dr. Mason Andrews at the Eastern Virginia Medical School and soon began work on in-vitro fertilization which led to success in 1981. Jones’ extensive bibliography was published in the June 1982 “Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey” Volume 37/Number 6, a commemorative issue. She was the editor-in-chief for gynecology of that journal for over 25 years. Jones was a member of numerous medical societies including the Baltimore City Medical Society, the Southern Medical Society and the American Medical Association. She was also a member of the American Fertility Society, becoming its first woman president in 1970. Jones was also the recipient of many honors including the Rubin Award, 1966 and the Doctor of Science from Goucher College, 1970.
The Howard W. Jones, Jr., and Georgeanna Seegar Jones Collection spans their entire careers at Johns Hopkins. It primarily consists of correspondence, diaries, and surgical notebooks used as the basis for their memoirs entitled, War and Love, documenting their World War II experience. Also included is a small amount of correspondence, publications, speeches, administrative records from the Gender Identity Clinic and the Prenatal Diagnostic Center, and biographical information on Howard Jones and Georgeanna Seegar Jones.
Policy on Access and UsePermissions and Credits
Make a Gift