Current guidelines for onsite research at Chesney Archives
Harriet Griggs Guild
by Cedric B. Egeli
Creator: Guild, Harriet Griggs (1899 - 1992) Collection Date: 1941 - 1978 Extent: .25 linear feet
Harriet G Guild was born in Windham, Connecticut. She received an A.B. from Vassar College in 1920 and a M.D. from the Johns Hopkins University in 1925. Guild’s housestaff training included a year’s internship at the Johns Hopkins Hospital’s Department of Medicine before accepting an internship at Harriet Lane under John Howland. She was the first female house officer to live in the Johns Hopkins Hospital housestaff living quarters. By 1928, she was the director of the Harriet Lane Dispensary and a Johns Hopkins University instructor in Pediatrics. She started the Pediatric Diabetic Clinic in 1930 and administered the program until 1946. Guild specialized in childhood kidney disease and was the founder of the Maryland Nephrosis Foundation which later became the Kidney Foundation of Maryland. Appointed assistant professor in 1934, she taught third and fourth year medical students until 1946. Guild was named associate professor emeritus in 1965 and continued patient care in private practice until 1985. She was the recipient of numerous awards including in 1958 the prestigious Elizabeth Blackwell Award given by the New York Infirmary to outstanding women doctors and in 1965 the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology medal for her contributions to medicine. Guild was also one of the first three women inducted into Baltimore City’s Women Hall of Fame in 1985.
The Harriet Guild collection consists of one patient record referred to Edwards Park for diagnosis of rickets and thyroid deficiency and followed by Harriet Guild until 1978.
Policy on Access and UsePermissions and Credits
Make a Gift