Covid-19 Update: The Chesney Archives is currently in Phase 1 of its reopening plan.
Home / Collections / Francina Freese Lichtenstein Collection
Creator: Lichtenstein, Francina Freese (1874 - 1958) Collection Date: 1901 Extent: 1 item
Francina Freese was born in Cayuga, New York. She worked as a teacher for four years before entering Johns Hopkins Hospital Training School for Nurses. After her graduation in 1901, she was appointed head nurse of Ward G and then Ward B of the Johns Hopkins Hospital. In 1903, she served as night superintendent and second assistant superintendent for the Johns Hopkins Hospital. She left to become superintendent of nurses at Cumberland Hospital. From 1905 to 1906 she was superintendent of the training school at Western Maryland Hospital. She moved to Indianapolis where she was superintendent at the Elinor Hospital and the City Hospital until 1907. From 1907 to 1911 she held the position of Superintendent of Nurses in the Polyclinic Hospital in Philadelphia. She was then superintendent of the Caroline Rest Home for Mothers in Hartsdale, New York. In 1913, she married A. M. Lichtenstein, a prominent pharmacist from Cumberland, Maryland. She remained active in the the Johns Hopkins Nurses’ Alumnae Association and the local Red Cross, serving as its chairman for several years. She was also active in the Girls Friendly Society, the Public Welfare Section of the Northern District of the Maryland Federation of Women’s Clubs, and the Western Maryland Hospital Auxiliary. She established a graduate study scholarship in her own name to encourage the pursuit of nursing as a profession.
The Francina Freese Lichtenstein Collection consists of her nursing diploma.
Policy on Access and UsePermissions and Credits
Make a Gift