Current Guidelines for Onsite Research at Chesney Archives
Creator: Meyer, Eugene, III (1915 - 1982) Collection Date: 1962-1969 Extent: .5 linear feet
Eugene Meyer, III, was born in New York City, the son of Washington Post publisher Eugene Meyer, II. Meyer studied at the London School of Economics and received an A.B. from Yale University in 1937. He received his M.D. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1941. After serving a medical internship at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, Meyer enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force. During World War II, he served in the Mediterranean theatre as a squadron surgeon achieving the rank of captain. Returning to the United States, Meyer served as the neuropsychiatrist at the U.S.A.A.F Convalescent Hospital in Florida until his discharge in 1945. He completed his medical residency at Boston’s Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in 1946 and at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1947. After further study and training in psychiatry at the Johns Hopkins Hospital Henry Phipps Psychiatric Clinic, Meyer joined the faculty of the Johns Hopkins University department of psychiatry in 1949. Meyer was considered a pioneer in recognizing the psychiatric and physical needs of patients. In 1951, he established the psychiatric liaison service at Johns Hopkins Hospital, a psychiatric consultative service for medical and surgical patients, and continued as its director until his retirement in 1980. Meyer achieved the rank of professor of psychiatry in 1966 and professor of medicine in 1970.
The Eugene Meyer, III, Collection contains patient records and materials related to a small study of patients treated with steroids who experienced psychotic episodes. The 1962 study includes some follow-up research in 1969 and a draft report.
Policy on Access and UsePermissions and Credits
Make a Gift