2022 Summer Semester Plan for Chesney Archives
Creator: King, Esther V. (1908 - 2005) Collection Date: 1930-2001 Extent: 10 items
Esther King, an assistant director of nursing for Johns Hopkins’ Marburg Pavilion, was born in Aura, New Jersey. She attended Blackstone College in Blackstone, Virginia from 1926 to 1928 before applying to The Johns Hopkins Hospital Training School for Nurses in 1929. King received her nursing diploma in 1932.
After graduation, she served as a private duty nurse until 1951 when Anna Wolf convinced her to accept an appointment as temporary assistant director of nursing service in the Marburg wing of The Johns Hopkins Hospital. In 1956, the appointment was made permanent and she held this position until her retirement. In 1966, she was appointed to The Johns Hopkins Hospital Training School for Nurses faculty.
Read More >
King retired in 1973 to Spotsylvania, Virginia where she worked as a part-time college nurse. She was active with the Johns Hopkins Nurses Alumnae Association throughout her lifetime, and chaired its endowed bed committee for many years.
< Read Less
The Esther King Collection consists of photos, correspondence, jewelry and a portrait.
Policy on Access and UsePermissions and Credits
Make a Gift