Covid-19 Update: The Chesney Archives is currently in Phase 1 of its reopening plan.
Home / Collections / Douglas G. Carroll Collection
Creator: Carroll, Douglas G. Jr. (1915 - 1977) Collection Date: 1941 - 1977 Extent: 6 linear feet
Douglas G. Carroll was born in Baltimore, Maryland. He received an A. B. from Yale University in 1938 and a M.D. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1942. After an internship at Peter Bent Brigham in Boston, Massachusetts, Carroll returned to Johns Hopkins Hospital as an assistant resident. In 1944, he joined the Hopkins affiliated 118th General Hospital Unit serving in Australia, New Guinea and the Phillipine island of Leyte, achieving the rank of captain. Carroll returned to Hopkins in 1946 to complete his residency in medicine. In 1948 he continued training in chest and cardio-physiology at Bellevue Hospital, New York before returning to Johns Hopkins for the William Halsted fellowship in surgery 1950. In 1951 he was appointed instructor of medicine at the school of medicine and instructor of environmental medicine at the school of hygiene. In 1953 in addition to being promoted to assistant professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins, he became chief of the Chronic Hospital and assistant chief of medicine at Baltimore City Hospitals. Carroll spent the remainder of his career developing strong clinical programs between the two institutions. In 1956 he established Baltimore City Hospitals’ department of rehabilitation medicine and became the acting chief of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Johns Hopkins Hospital. In 1960 he was promoted to associate professor of medicine and physician in charge of physical medicine at the out patient department of the Johns Hopkins Hospital. From 1956 to 1964 he was also an assistant professor in public health administration at the school of hygiene. Carroll was active in the Clinical and Climatological Association and served as its recorder from 1972 to 1977. He also served as president of the Baltimore City Medical Society in 1975. Carroll published many articles on the history of medicine in Maryland including a history of the Baltimore City Hospitals published in 1966.
The Douglas G. Carroll collection includes World War II personal correspondence and memorabilia. There is a photograph of 118th General Hospital staff taken at Leyte, Philippine Islands and a 1942 Japanese map of the island as well as some colored slides. The collection also contains reprints and manuscripts by Carroll including his “History of the Baltimore City Hospitals.”
Policy on Access and UsePermissions and Credits
Make a Gift