Douglas Gordon Carroll, Jr.
Douglas Gordon Carroll Jr.
Carroll, a physician who established Baltimore City Hospitals’ department of rehabilitation medicine, was born in Baltimore. He received an A. B. from Yale University in 1938 and an M.D. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1942.
After an internship at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston, Carroll returned to The Johns Hopkins Hospital as an assistant resident. In 1944, he joined the Johns Hopkins-affiliated 118th General Hospital Unit serving in Australia, New Guinea and the Philippine island of Leyte, achieving the rank of captain.
Carroll returned to Johns Hopkins in 1946 to complete his residency in medicine. In 1948, he continued training in chest and cardiophysiology at Bellevue Hospital, before returning to Johns Hopkins in 1950 for the William Halsted fellowship in surgery. In 1951, he was appointed instructor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and instructor of environmental medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health. In 1953, in addition to being promoted to assistant professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins, he became chief of the Chronic Hospital and assistant chief of medicine at Baltimore City Hospitals.
Carroll spent the remainder of his career developing strong clinical programs between the two institutions. In 1956, he established Baltimore City Hospitals’ department of rehabilitation medicine and became the acting chief of physical medicine and rehabilitation at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. In 1960, he was promoted to associate professor of medicine and physician in charge of physical medicine at the outpatient department of The Johns Hopkins Hospital. From 1956 to 1964 he was also an assistant professor in public health administration at the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health.
Carroll was active in the Clinical and Climatological Association and served as its recorder from 1972 to 1977. He also served as president of the Baltimore City Medical Society in 1975. Carroll published many articles on the history of medicine in Maryland, including a history of the Baltimore City Hospitals published in 1966.
"*" indicates required fields